There’s a reason the good ol’ fashioned surprise party is a birthday classic — it’s so fun! But sometimes you might want to do something a bit different to celebrate your friend’s big day… maybe a smaller surprise, or a present more uniquely suited to her personality. Perhaps make a plan for just the two of you to spend quality time together! You’re in luck because we rounded up our favorite ideas for any friend’s birthday surprise. Just add cake!
1. Is your best friend a total book lover? Surprise her with a Best Friends Book Club! Pick a book you think she might enjoy, buy two copies (one for you and one for her), wrap them up, and promise to read it along with her and provide the snacks when you get together to chat about it. A pro tip: pick one that’s been made into a movie, and turn your book club into a movie night! A few of our faves include Call Me By Your Name, Crazy Rich Asians, The Devil Wears Prada, and Eat, Pray, Love.
2. This idea will take a bit of time and energy, but we think it’s totally worth it: fill a lovely keepsake wooden box with 365 notes for your friend. You can even color code them and break them into fun categories like, “Things we should do together,” “Remember when…” and “For when you need a pep talk,” so that she always knows which note to grab. This gorgeous keepsake is a heartfelt gift that keeps on giving throughout the year to come. (We have the perfect keepsake box, handmade and meant to last forever!)
3. Are you an artist? Show your bestie some love and put those skills to work by drawing, painting, or taking a photographic portrait of her pet, the two of you, or the facade of her home! If you aren’t particularly artistically-inclined, we love Rebecca Lynn Illustration’s style — speaking from experience, she’s lovely to work with, a super talented artist, and a fellow female small business owner.
4. Put together a spa night and surprise her with a self care-focused birthday! Just pick up a couple of sheet masks, a lavender or eucalyptus-scented candle, some fun nail polishes, and anything else you might need for a chill night in, wrap it all up in a cute basket, and head on over.
5. Want to create a keepsake this birthday, something you’ll treasure for years to come? Pick a journal perfect for your best friend, then begin filling it out as if you’re writing an ongoing letter to her. On her birthday, give it to her and ask her to contribute, as well! Pass it back and forth for as long as it takes to fill the journal, creating a keepsake of your friendship to treasure for years to come. [May we suggest one of our journals for this thoughtful present? We have a bunch of cute designs, so you’re sure to find one perfect for your friend!)
6. Are the two of you long distance BFFs? Send her a care package filled with little things you think she’d like! If she moved away from your hometown but you still live there, send all of her favorite things that will remind her of home!